The Bradford Environmental Forum (BEF) grew out of local residents’ desire to hear from the political candidates about their position on the environment, tourism, mining and development in and for Bradford County. After the election, interest in these issues remains high. To continue with educational outreach, BEF filed with the state to incorporate as a Florida not-for-profit organization. BEF is an educational and research organization focused on the Upper Santa Fe River Basin, especially in Bradford County, and dedicated to:
- Raising awareness of aquifer recharge areas, such as wetlands and sinkholes.
- Promoting the ecologically sound uses of our rivers, lakes, streams, and forests.
- Supporting agricultural practices that enhance and protect natural systems.
- Protecting and preserving the natural environment while developing ecotourism.
- Using the Division of Administrative Hearing process, local government regulations and actions, and the courts to ensure Bradford County’s natural systems are protected.